Friday, January 1, 2010

The New Year Has Come!

Happy New Year to you all!
I hope that you are proud of everything that you did in 2009 and are looking forward to 2010 and thinking about all the things that you can accomplish this year.

When I started reflecting on last year, I am very proud of the year that I had.

I changed jobs into something that is more fit for me, and have never been happier to go to work. Each morning I wake up with excitment to get to work and see what the day brings. Sure, there has definatly been some ups and downs (especially at the end of the summer, when after 4 month's I was promoted and found myself in quite the situation of uncertainty) but all in all I am so happy with the change. There is so much room for growth and opportunity for me that I giggle with excitment when I think about it.

I did a lot of "deep down" thinking this year and made a lot of positive changes to myself, in my actions and in my beliefs in life. While I have no regret's about the first 23 years that I was on this Earth, I wasn't really "myself". I was who I thought I wanted to be, and had friends that I thought I wanted to have, relationships that I thought I wanted to last. One day I was just sitting around on a day off and thought to myself "Stop. This is really not what you want. Yes, you are enjoying the lifestyle that you are living, but are you truly happy with it?" And the answer was no. I knew that I had more aspirations, goals and belief's in life that I was not living up to. I sat and made a list of what I wanted in life, and who I wanted my reflection of myself to show, and made the changes necessary for that. I lost some friend's along the way, but the ones that I kept and the new ones that I made are built on a much more solid foundation. Instead of finding people that I wanted to party with, I found myself in a sea of people that are so inspiring to me, and consistantly strive to be the best person that they can be, and want the same thing for me. (Two of the strongest relationships that I build happen to be 2 people who I know are reading this right now, so I just thought that I would take the time to mention how special and important you are. Not a day goes by that I am not proud of everything that you have done in life, where you have been, and where you are going.)

Another big thing that happened for me this year (and is the basis of this blog, really) is my transition into making myself healthier on the inside, foodwise. In May I became a vegetarian. No, I was not thinking about it prior. I literally woke up one morning and said "I am going to be vegetarian." Why? I'm still not quite sure. One of the reasons was that I was tired of basing everything that I ate around MEAT. I was that person that would say "Yes, well, I am going to have chicken tonight...but what else?" I was stuck in a total food rut. I ate (basically) the same thing every day. It got boring. I needed something new.
Becoming vegetarian was not as hard for me as one would think. I spent grade 8-11 as a vegetarian, so I had a lot to go by. I had read multiple books, read many online articles and had experienced so many food choices.
For the past 7 month's, I have never felt better in my life. I have more energy, get sick a lot less, and do not sleep for 12 hours at a time like I did before. When by body is lacking in something, and I start to feel "sluggish" I can counteract it with the food choices I make. Before, I would just continue to make "bad" choices and assume that something was wrong with me.
Now, when I'm tired, I know that I need more protein. When my body feels like not moving, iron is the answer. When my brain isn't thinking straight, I head straight for the potassium.
Many people have assumed that I did this for animal rights, and yes, while that is such a positive thing that has come out of it, that wasn't the reason for it.
Now, after doing so much more reading this year, veganism just seems to be the next step for me. I just want all my cells in my body to be clean, and not full of things that don't need to be here. That is the main reason.
I am not worried about this transition as much as one would think. I gave up most dairy and other animal by-products in the last few months. The biggest one that I was not able to give up was cheese.
In fact, I may have indulged in half of a small cheese pizza lastnight as my "final supper". Yes, I enjoyed every minute of it. No, I am not sad to give it up. I am looking forward to finding new things to fill that "comfort food" void. As Ashley mentioned to me the last time I saw her, there is no replacement for cheese, I am excited to look for new things. It will be starting with a trip to Whole Foods tomorrow morning. My boyfriend has decided that while, he is no where near ready to give up meat (Who am I to even ask someone to do that?) he would like to expand his pallet as well, and is very eager to try things with me.

I think I will leave the rest of my rambles for another day though.
Where do I plan on going with "New VEGANnings"? I'm not quite sure yet. I think it will mostly just be another "food blog" But will also be full of my successes as well as cries for help as I transition into this lifestyle (That I am SO excited for)

2 things before I go.

1. I leave you with some of my goals for this year. (I do not make resolutions, as people tend to break them. I just set goals for myself)
-to become less dependant on processed foods. I must start to make the time for myself to cook, eat and enjoy food the way that it was ment to be.
-learn to knit (I have always wanted to do this, and have tried, but failed, to teach myself on multiple occasions)
-give up this smoking thing once and for all. I have done VERY well in the last 4 month's, and have maybe had a total of 7 cigarettes in 4 months. However, I just need to find something to kick the habbit in times of high stress
-read one book per month that will make me smarter. I am a very intellegant person, but my brain is very limited. If it doesnt have to do with math, science or english, I don't think about it. I believe I am going to start with Creating Chaos. My friend read it in December, and it seems to be a good place to start.

2. I promised a give-away to one of you that became me FIRST readers of this blog. I origionally said that that winner would recieve a copy of How It All Vegan. However, I have recently finished reading In Defence Of Food and Food Inc. and fell in love with both of them. These are the books that stemmed me into reading one book per month. SO, the winner will get a choice!
And the winner is....(random drawing)
Amanda, Another Prior Fat Girl
Amanda also just reached her GOAL WEIGHT just a few day's before Christmas. Congrats Amanda! Your transformation is breath taking. You look fabulouso!
You can e-mail me at newvegannings@gmail.com and leave me your address as well as your choice of book and I will have it sent to you next week! (As well as a CONGRATS ON GETTING TO GOAL gift as well!)

May you all have the best year of your lives thus far in 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great way to start off the new year. It has been such a blessing to meet you this year and I look forward to spending more time together and sharing yummy vegan goodness!! Your goals sound wonderful and realistic and I look forward to watching you accomplish really great things this year.

    ReplyDelete